Monday, February 11, 2008

Rock and Roll is Holy ... brothers and sisters!


MOG post: 2/11/2008
Artist: Sister Rosetta Tharpe
Album: The Gospel Of The Blues
Track: Up Above My Head I Hear Music In The Air

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.” -Jimi Hendrix

"Love life. Take great pleasure in small offerings. Believe that the world owes you nothing. Understand that every gift given to you is exactly that." -Maya Angelou



Do NOT QUESTION one who wields a solid Gibson guitar this well! You would be wise to listen to the sound. Gospel music is very good for your Soul. Some lately good conversations around here about Dave Brubeck sparked me to dig out some Scorsese flicks that I haven't enjoyed for too long. My favorite turn-on from the series was learning about Sister Rosetta Tharpe. When I first saw & heard her grand blues & rhythm choir I hit repeat about 10 straight, wonderful times. This is as cool a guitar slinging as you can get my friends (she flairs that picking hand better than Jimi). I can never get enough. Realize that for a young group of aspiring British musicians, this was nothing short of astounding. It really is the holy roots of rock & roll - one of the very first times we had ever heard a solid-body electric guitar and a Hammond - let alone in front of a choir. George Melly used to say that despite the halo around her head on the stage, she used to like to have a rather brandied good time.

Robert Plant & Alison Krauss do a wonderful song called "Sister Rosetta Goes Before Us" on their new release, Raising Sand. Good, good stuff.

-

1961 Gibson Les Paul/SG Custom

Indeed ... Get thee down to the riverside and listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment